After five years in school, will homeschooling be a fit for our family? Walk with us as we try to find out!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Top 10 Read Alouds on Our Summer Wish List

As I mentioned in my last Weekly Wrap Up post, I've been having a blast devouring A Charlotte Mason Companion and Honey for a Child's Heart these last few weeks.  As part of our summer plan (more to come soon, I promise!), I've compiled the following Top 10 Read Alouds on Our Summer Wish List:

1.  Charlotte's Web by E.B. White 
We are currently reading this wonderful classic together.  The boys had it read aloud to them at school in first grade, but neither remember the story line very much.  It's TS 3's first time entering the world on Zuckerman's farm.  We are truly enjoying this gem so far and each time I close the book until next time, it is usually met with pleas for just one more chapter.  I love it!

2.  Homer Price by Robert Mc Closkey
I chose this book based on the recommendation in Honey for a Child's Heart.  Sandwiched between two poignant books, I'm hoping Homer Price will bring some light-hearted comic relief!

3.  The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett
Oh, how I loved this book as a little girl!  Such a beautiful and captivating story.  I only hope the test subjects will love it like I did!

4.  Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Can you believe we have never read this classic?  I hope the boys do not think it too babyish for them.  I just know TS 3 will adore Pooh and his adventures!

5.  Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia by C.S. Lewis
We listened to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe audiobook this spring and fell in love with the characters and magic of Narnia.  TS 1 and I enjoyed the Christian symbolism that is all at once obvious yet beautifully subtle in the tale.  We are tackling Prince Caspian next in the series, following the reading order recommended by many and found here.

6.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham
I chose this book simply because it was recommended so often and so enthusiastically in the pages of Honey for a Child's Heart.  I did not read this book as a child, so I am looking forward to experiencing it for the first time with my children.

7.  Treasures of the Snow by Patricia St. John
Another new book for us heartily endorsed in Honey for a Child's Heart.  

8.  The Light Princess by George Mac Donald
When I learned that the George Mac Donald profoundly influenced C.S. Lewis, I could not pass up this tale of a princess rescued by one who loved her enough to die for her.

9.  Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
Another Honey for a Child's Heart recommendation for a fun and humorous read.

10.  Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
An adventure story set in pioneer Wisconsin in the 1860's filled with excitement, humor and fun?  Count us in!

Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings





No comments:

Post a Comment